Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Migrant Trail: Walk a mile in their shoes

Illegal immigrants. Beheadings. Drug trafficking in the desert. Gang violence in Mexico. SB1070. Yada, yada, yada...

Rightly or wrongly, Arizona's SB1070 pushed immigration and border issues to the forefront in this election season.

Misinformation about immigration and the border abounds. For people who want to know more about migrants, gangs, the drug trade, and how it all relates to Americans, I suggest these movies:

- El Norte

- Sin Nombre

- Maria Full of Grace

- Traffic

- Plan Columbia

Watch these and then tell me who the real victims are. I'll give you a hint: It's related to poverty... on both sides of the border.

2 comments:

  1. I love your list of films. These educate the viewer on this complex topic. One I have seen is "Traffic" which is an American version of the excellent BBC production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plan Columbia is a US film also, but all of the others were produced south of the border, I believe.

    ReplyDelete